As I mentioned today on twitter, I'm always surprised how prejudices about overweight and obesity are present, common and shared. I I walk on various blogs and websites on weight, body image and other related topics and what catches my attention the most, are the comments left by readers.
Ignorance?
explanations such as "eat better and move more" things are comunes. Until then, no surprise. This is the logic that speaks. Simple equation: burn more calories than what is coming. This equation demeurre incorrect because incomplete, but I understand the reasoning. No, what surprised me and shocked me, what are comments like: "It is well known, large are lazy, eat poorly ... "
Ignorance!
I do not really want to go into a developed explanation of my understanding of the issue of weight, but it concerns me to remember that being overweight is explained by a multitude of factors not only individual, but also environmental genetics, dietary habits, socioeconomic status, mental health (self-esteem, body image, depression, anxiety, etc..) physical health (disease causing medication for example), physical environment (food , cycle path, marketing, advertisements ...) and I forget.
Openness
I find it deplorable that such misconceptions persist and be shared openly. How can we afford to judge without knowing? Some should learn to look before you judge ... It's not just the weight in life and this can in no way be considered a failure because it is a physical characteristic and a physical characteristic has never allowed predict a trait ...
Note positive and educational
I want to finish on a positive note, an initiative on which I have written before: Operation Beautiful! I started to participate by leaving positive ratings in various public places. I invite you to do the same. It's crazy the power of words ...
Now, for those who want to read about prejudice and overweight, you have several options. the Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity wrote more stuff about it. In particular, a text on public health and the stigma of obesity. Dr. Arya Sharma has also written several tickets about it on his blog. the Task Force on Obesity and overweight (BIG) have a different and interesting and obesity are highly critical of the diets. Their website is worth a visit! Finally, for those who want to undertake a process of reflection on their relationship with their body, weight, clinical Muula also offers an approach that differs from the others.
0 comments:
Post a Comment