Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thank You Wording Programs

Paradigm Shift


Finally, someone says it! I am so often look crooked because I dared raise the issue. My thesis was on it and this is probably what pushed me to go to work in public health. What I mean? Perverse effects of the "struggle" to obesity. The fact that too will withdraw the extra weight of the population and give rèegles of "eating well, moving well," you end up creating an excessive concern over weight and in some other, more vulnerable it may cause or trigger more serious conditions. Le Devoir spoke January 8 and again today!


I often answer: "The obesity epidemic is worse than bin excessive preoccupation!". What is not said in this sentence and sometimes that is implied is that some gain to be even more préoccuppés. True, it's to be admired and applauded the plan, to be thin, and to train others should emulate it.


So what can you do? We do nothing, say nothing for fear of doing more harm than good? Ethically, it may be arguable, but almost, not really. This is not the first time I mentioned, but for me the problem lies in the chosen target: Obesity! The overweight person is targeted and will change and that change should be visible. As if that was not enough to not match the ideals of beauty, now they are increasingly criticized for not correspond to the ideals of health and costly for the state!


The example of tobacco control

Many scientific articles have been written on the similarities the struggle between the tobacco and obesity. Since the war on tobacco has been very successful, not mad, we want to be inspired! It has demonized junk food (it is even talk of it being preceded disgusting images like those on cigarette packets), we attempted to target an industry, we try to change behavior and the tax on junk food is considered.


Unfortunately, there are also elements that distinguish these two problems. First, when talking about obesity, we target individuals, while when it comes to cigarettes, is an industry that is targeted. In addition, smoking can do without to live, eat, no. On the other hand, the fact of smoking has been directly associated with various diseases. In terms of obesity, the link is less direct. They are more lifestyle that can lead to obesity that are associated with various diseases. The link is therefore less direct: it is not because you are overweight you are going to be sick, it depends on lots of other things.


I repeat: WE DO WHAT?

Ok, ok. I have not a panacea, but I like what was claimed earlier this year: focus on the pleasure that can be felt through the effort. It is clear that given the changes that have occurred over time in our environments, our whole Facconi of life that has changed. We eat more and we are more sedentary. We eat stuff that include ingredients which were difficult to read the name. It is therefore evident that there is quite a job to do at the food industry and advertising of their food. But it's true regardless of our weight. This is not because we are thin as it is less harmful to our bodies from eating processed food full of refined sugar and trans fat and I think that is lies the challenge. It takes an entire paradigm shift.


Finally, I think as mentioned Dr. Arya Sharma in his blog beginning of the year in 2011, it will look to everything that relates to links between mental health and weight-related problems, starting with the discimination by weight. In this regard, a symposium held in Toronto next Monday about it. I'll be there!


I'm optimistic at the beginning of the year, it seems that Charter for a healthy body image and has brought diverse with it a wind of change. If someone had a table comparing the increase in the popularity of dieting and weight increase of poppulation, I'd be very interested to take a look!

0 comments:

Post a Comment