I had mentioned that I attend the first summit on discrimination based on the weight in Canada. It was held in Toronto last Monday and my eyes, it was a success! The bias against weight were discussed and we all had to admit, despite having some interest in this problem, if only to say that somewhat unconsciously: "I do not ever let me go until now! ".
Testimonials
One great initiatives of this summit was the presence of a lecturer who was witness to his experience as a person with significant overweight, David Dolomont. The presence of this man really made sure we did not stay in the concepts, but rather, whether we are aware that it is human beings whom it is question, people like David Dolomont.
Prejudice socially accepted
It is terrible to realize how it is socially acceptable to openly criticize a person's weight, teasing her about it or judge his grocery cart. I do not think we realize the impact of these gestures, words. Mr. Dolomont has correctly noted this fact.
Diet vs. Health
I leave this summit even more convinced of the importance of assessing the scope of our messages when talking about obesity. Dr. Sharma asked how Mr. Dolomont he perceived our campaigns promoting health. David Dolomont responded that he understood the purpose of these, but what he meant is that to be healthy, it must be thin and as it will not thin, it does is respected, accepted. Mr. Dolomont is in perfect health, he worked as a paramedic for over 22 years with an attendance issue, but despite this, it is always advisable to lose weight.
0 comments:
Post a Comment